If you have attempted to navigate to your Gradwell hosted website and seen the following error:
...then you need to configure a virtual host for that domain in your hosting control panel. When you register a domain name (for example, gradwell.com) with us, you need to create the area that it lives in on our servers. This will then allow you to upload your web pages to our server. This is called configuring your domain, and it will allow us to send web users to your website.
Everything that we will do for this is in the Web Hosting section of your control panel, so make sure you can find that first.
To begin, click on Unix Hosting, and then Add virtual host. A virtual host is simply a section of our server that we place your website on. The following fields are in this section:
- Sub-domain: this is the part before you domain name, for example www. Some websites will also have sub-domains such as news., and this is technically a separate part of your website. When you start out, you are likely to just want to configure the www. sub-domain
- Domain: if you have more than one domain name registered with us, select the one you wish to configure from this dropdown box
- PHP version: select the PHP version that you wish to use for your website. We recommend using PHP 5.2, and this is selected by default
- General settings: the htdocs directory and log directory will update automatically depending on the sub-domain you enter at the top of the page, and we recommend that you don’t change these
The final configuration you can make if you wish is to setup a redirect. A redirect will tell a web browser to go to a different website when a user goes to a web address. This website can be entered into the Redirect URL field. You will need to choose a Redirection type from the dropdown box:
- Frames based redirect: this redirect will send a user to a different website, but your domain name will remain in the address bar
- Htaccess: this type of redirect simply sends a user to the alternative website, and the alternative website’s domain name will appear in the address bar
As a worked example for setting up a virtual host, if you purchased the domain name myyellowbox.co.uk and wanted to simply configure hosting for www.myyellowbox.co.uk, the page would look like this:
Any changes you make will take up to 15 minutes to take effect, so don’t worry if your web space doesn’t appear to be available immediately.
The walkthrough video below will show all of these steps in more detail.