Unpack the phone and cables and plug them together as follows (easiest done with the phone base upside down):
- Connect the base unit and handset together using the curly phone cable; it plugs into the socket with the phone icon. If using a headset, plug it into the other socket underneath the base unit
- Connect the Ethernet socket marked LAN to one of the sockets on your router, using the coloured network cable. (Or if you have a hub or switch inboard of the router, use that.)
- If you don't have enough network sockets, you can connect a PC (for example) into the second socket.
- Connect and plug in the power cable.
Power on the phone (either by using PoE or the supplied power adapter), the phone will display Booting, allow a few moments for this to complete, you will see the phone perform a self test.
The phones screen will display "NETWORK STARTING". The phone will then attempt to obtain an IP address from a DHCP server.
If you are not using a DHCP server, then please see the section below entitled "Configuring an IP address"
Once the phone has obtained an IP address, the phone will then try to register with our servers.
If you have bought the phone configured, you will see on the screen your name and also your extension number. Once these go to a dark typeface (Bold) the phone has registered. You should then be able to make and receive calls.
To answer a call: Pick up the handset, or press the Speaker button for hands-free operation.
To switch between two calls on line 1 and line 2: press either the Line1 or Line2 button to put one caller on hold and speak to the other. The active line is shown by a fast blinking light, the held one by a slow blink.
To make calls: enter the number using the keypad then pick up the handset to make a call; or press the Speaker button to make a hands-free call.
How to ignore an incoming call: if you press the MUTE/DEL key whilst receiving an incoming call, it will be rejected and forwarded to your Voice Mail (if configured).
How to become unavailable (DND): Press the DND or MUTE button to set the phone to "Do Not Disturb" an icon will show on the screen. The phone will not ring and send the call directly to Voice Mail (if configured).
Advanced Configuration and Troubleshooting
Setting an IP Address
- Press the Menu key (Circle button) to enter the menu, use the Up and Down arrow keys to navigate to the Configure option.
- Press the Menu button
- Select Network and press the Menu button
- Select IP Setting and press the Menu button
- Select Static IP and press the Menu button
Next, work through the Network settings (IP, NetMask, Gateway, DNS Server) and set the correct values local to your network.
You can use the arrow keys to move around the screen, and the MUTE/DEL button to delete entries, use the numeric keypad to enter new values.
Once completed, use the arrow keys to navigate back to the status screen.
Your phone will then be configured for a static IP address.
Configuring the Phone
(Only necessary for phones not purchased from Gradwell)
Using a web browser from a computer on the same network as the phone, enter the IP address of the phone into the address bar.
You will then see the Grandstream Networks welcome screen, where you will be prompted for a password.
Enter the admin password, which by default is admin and click on Login.
Once logged in, click on the Account 1 link at the top of the screen.
You will need to complete the fields above, as per our example below.
- Account Name: A description for the account, or your own name
- SIP User ID: Your Gradwell 7 Digit extension number
- Authenticate ID: As above, your 7 Digit extension number
- Authenticate Password: The password assigned to the extension
- Name: Your name
Next, set the options below - this will ensure your phone behaves correctly on our network and will enable you to use interactive services, such as online banking that require key presses, this also sets up voicemail.
Once this has been done, scroll to the bottom of the screen and click on Update.
Next, click on Reboot, the phone will then reboot and will attempt to register with our servers.