Mailing lists are designed to be easy to set up, but with powerful configuration features should you wish to use them. Once you have created your mailing list you can start to configure them.
To configure a mailing list, navigate to it by clicking on Mailboxes from the home page of your control panel and then click Maillists from the top menu.
Simply click the name of the mailing list you wish to configure. You will be presented with a menu along the top, you can click any of these to edit the configuration of that particular part of the mailing list. More detail on the configuration available within each is provided below.
The general tab shows information on the mailing list, such as the mailing list's email address and general information on the purpose of the list. You can edit the general information and the welcome message that will be sent to new mailing list subscribers. Clicking Send preview will send a test email to the account owner.
List owners are responsible for the list, including adding members, removing members and approving posts to the list. You can add or remove additional owners here.
Moderators have the ability to approving posts to the list. Unlike owners they are unable to edit general list information and subscribe new members. You can add or remove additional moderators here.
Members are the actual subscribers of the mailing list. Once subscribed they can post messages and files to the mailing list. Members can be added and removed from this page, and you can also download a list of current members from here.
The configuration tab allows you to fine tune how your list works.
- Administrivia: if this is set to on the system will automatically check the subject field and first five lines of new posts for key words such as "subscribe", "unsubscribe", "add me", "delete me" and "help". If found the mail is forwarded directly to the list owner first rather than posted to all members
- Approve password: when a post is sent to moderators for approval the approve password is used by the moderator to approve the message. In order to approve the message the moderator needs to send the message to the mailing list with Approved: <password> in the first line of the email body.
- Maxlength: the maximum length a message can be before being sent for approval
- White list of senders: if you wish to restrict who can send messages to the mailing list then you can edit this setting. By default anyone can post to the mailing list by sending a message to the mailing list's email address. You can change this to subscribers only or entering a space-separated list of email addresses that have permission to post
- Sender: the sender address used for mailing list posts
- Subject prefix: all mailing list posts will include a prefix at the start of the subject. You can set for this to be the mailing list name or sender's mailbox address
- Taboo body: here you can specify any words in the body of the message that you consider abusive and don't wish to be posted to the list. If any of these words are found then the message is bounced for review
- Taboo headers: here you can specify any words in the subject line of the message that you consider abusive and don't wish to be posted to the list. If any of these words are found then the message is bounced for review
- Access: You can also fine tune who can access certain information on the mailing list. All of these are used by sending the command with the list name to the email address majordomo@<yourdomain>. You can set these to 'open' (anyone can access the information by sending the command to the list address), 'list' (only subscribers can access the information by sending the command to the list address) or 'closed' (the command won't work for anyone).
- Get: returns files on the list server associated with the list (e.g. archives, user profiles)
- Index: shows the files available on the list server (which can then be retrieved using the get command)
- Info: returns the mailing list info description (as set by you on the general tab)
- Intro: returns the mailing list introduction text (as set by you on the general tab)
- Which: returns a list of the mailing list the sender is subscribed to at the address he or she sent the email from
- Who: returns a list of the mailing list subscribers
On this page you can enable or disable antivirus checking of attachments