A mailbox is simply a location where email is deposited. It is not the same as an email address, because an email address will simply forward any mail received to a mailbox. This allows you to forward messages received at multiple addresses to one mailbox, reducing the need to check numerous email accounts.
To create a new mailbox, log in to your hosting control panel. In the left hand menu, click on Email Standard. You will then see a list of all the domains on your account. Click edit alongside the domain you wish to add a mailbox to.
You now need to create a login for the mailbox. Enter a username and password that you wish a user to use to access the mailbox, and then click Add mailbox to domain.
Please note that the password must be at least eight characters long, with either a mix of upper and lower case letters or a mix of letters and numbers.
Once you have created a mailbox you can edit and manage the settings.
- Password: if you wish to change the password, simply enter a new one here
- Disk usage: this is the amount of storage space all the received messages are using on our system. Please ensure that the cumulative total of all of your mailboxes does not exceed the storage allowance that you have purchased when you signed up for the product
- Max age: if you wish, you can enter a figure (in days) after which you'd like email to be automatically purged. This functionality can help you manage the size of your mailboxes
- Max count: if you wish, you can enter a figure for the maximum number of emails you wish to store in the mailbox. This functionality can help you manage the size of your mailboxes. If the maximum count is reached then older emails will periodically be purged. However, please note that for a short period email senders may receive bounce back messages informing them that delivery of their email has failed
- Max MB: if required you can enter a figure (in megabytes) to limit the size of the mailbox. Please ensure that the cumulative total of all of your mailboxes would not exceed the storage allowance that you have purchased when you signed up for the product
- Protection: by default we will not perform any virus scanning on inbound mail. However, if you wish for us to do this automatically please select virus scan. If you wish to setup your own rules to filter email please purchase our Advanced Spam and Virus Filtering package. Finally, if you wish to allow internal email only select block external.
- Complete purge: empty all mail from the mailbox
- Delete: completely delete the mailbox. Simply select the mailbox you wish to delete and press the delete button from Perform action.
To completely delete a mailbox, simply select the delete box and then click the Delete button. Please remember to update any email forwarding rules that may have used this mailbox.
In order to deliver received email to a mailbox you need to setup email forwarding. When you do this, you will effectively be creating an email address on your account, and then telling our system which mailbox to forward emails sent to that address to.
For more help with this, please see this article.