Our web hosting service allows you to easily add custom error pages on your site, for example if a visitors tries navigating to a URL that doesn't exist (a 404 error page). You can tailor the following types of error pages:
- 400: bad request
- 403: forbidden
- 404: not found
- 500: internal server error
To create your custom error pages, login to your control panel and select Manage Website from the websites box (if you have more than one website hosted with Gradwell you will have to choose the correct one using the dropdown box).
From the next page, select Web Hosting Settings.
On the web hosting settings page, click Error Documents.
You will see a list of error pages, simply click the one you want to edit.
The current status of the error page will be shown. In the screenshot below, the 404 page is set to the system default. To change this, click Edit.
You will now be able to edit the page. The following options are available:
- Off: no error page will be set, so the web browser's default error page will be displayed instead
- Default: our system default will be displayed
- Custom message: enter a custom message so that a simple customised page is displayed
- File located in document root: provide a link to a file that you have uploaded to your error_docs folder. This provides the most customisation of the error message. You can browse files in the error docs folder using the file manager tool
- Forward to URL: state a specific URL that you want visitors to be redirected to