An autoresponder will automatically reply to incoming mail on your behalf. Alternatively, you can request it forwards to another email address. There are several common uses for this feature:
- As an out of office responder
- To reply with confirmation that an email had been received
- To forward an email for another person's attention (for example, if the original recipient has left the company)
To create a new autoresponder, login to your control panel and click the E-Mail link at the top of the page.
Click on Autoresponders.
Click on Add New Autoresponder.
You can now create your rule. Enter a descriptive name for the rule, and if you want it to be enabled when you save it tick the Autoresponder Enabled button.
By default your autoresponder will be activated for all incoming email addresses. If you wish to only activate the rule for received mail that matches certain criteria, tick the Enable Filtering tickbox. You can enter a text string and select to enable the rule if it is found in either the subject line or body text of the email.
You can either Reply to a message or Forward it - just use the radio buttons on the page to chose between the two.
If you wish to reply to emails, you can configure the following:
- Reply-to Field: enter the email address that appears on the reply email (this could be the same as the mailbox you're creating the rule for, alternatively it could be an alternative email account))
- Reply Subject: you can choose to use the original email subject, or create a custom subject for the reply
- Reply Message: this is where you can enter the text that will appear in the email reply to the original sender
If you wish to forward the original mail on to another email account, simply enter the destination email account to the Forward Request to E-mail Address field.
Deactivating an autoresponder
If you wish to temporarily deactivate a rule, return to the autoresponders page and select it from the list of rules. . Click the Edit button, untick the Autoresponder enabled box and click the Submit button.
Deleting an autoresponder
If you wish to completely delete a rule, return to the autoresponders page, select the tick box alongside the rule you wish to delete and then click the Delete button.